Vicar's Musings for the Third Sunday in Lent
4 March, 2018
At the February Parish Council Planning Day, reflecting on possible priorities for our new Mission Action Plan 2018-2021, we identified three current MAP "pillars" at St Peter's: (1) maintaining and developing high quality Anglo-Catholic worship and a flourishing parish community (2) ensuring the ongoing commitment of our church to Social Justice (3) pioneering a new parish mission outreach to RMIT University. My Vicar's report to Parish Council (PC) this month was structured around these three "pillars" of Mission and Ministry at The Hill. See my notes below and do feel free to chat with me, or any of the PC, after Mass about any issues.
ANGLO-CATHOIC WORSHIP & FLOURISHING
- Garden Party & Commissioning: Parish Council and new staff/scholars — Alae Taule'alo, Fr Andrew Lang, Fr David Peake, Colleen Clayton & Lynda Crossley.
- Child Safety: appointment of Dr Kelly Shang as Parish Child Safety Officer (to replace previous sub-committee structure) reporting each month to PC
- Funerals: Thorry Gunnersen, John McMonnies, Count George Krasicki.
- Ash Wednesday: 4th year of "Ashes to Go"; three Lenten groups well received.
- Looking ahead: Icon School — blessing of new Lazarus Icon, March 11th; Bp Graeme — book-launch: David Aspin, The Beauty of Holiness, April 8th; St Peter's Day — Friday 29th June: High Mass, then wine and cheese; Patronal Festival & Lunch — Sunday 1st July: +Alison Taylor guest preacher.
Rough sleeping at St Peter's — parish feedback very helpful; questions of security and safety raised; PC process initiated to review OH&S policies.
Fr David Peake & EQubed at St Peter's: work under way on an MOU.
Corner Plaza development, renewed tender process; new projected commencement date, April 16th & completion, August 20th.
Corner Plaza fundraising: Queen's Hall Gala Dinner, May 4th; dramatic performance by +Rob Gillion of his play "The Visit", July 6th
RMIT UNIVERSITY CHAPLAINCYThree year contract
Alae Taule'alo — full time at RMIT and in Parish; off to a great start (see TMA)
Strong support from Senior Executive — V.C. Martin Bean, Pro V.C. Andrew MacIntyre, Director of Student Wellbeing Fiona Ellis etc
Harmony Day — March 21st
Violence Prevention Workshop — April 13th
Inter-faith summer "holiday program" for International Students
The Rev'd Dr Hugh Kempster
Views is a publication of
St Peter's Eastern Hill, Melbourne Australia.